Tuesday, May 10, 2011

7 beds in 11 days

No, that is not an attempt to be raunchy! I just want to show how much Dan and I have been travelling around since we returned to Australia and New Zealand. We got back to Australia on the 29th of April, spent a few nights with some friends there, then went to my parents' place, then my grandparents' place, then my sister's place, then across the ocean to Dan's mate's place in Auckland, then finally to Dan's parents' place. Which is where we are now - Cambridge New Zealand. So, as you can tell, we've been pretty busy catching up with friends and family.

It's over a month ago now that we left Soc Trang. It seems a lot longer. It's hard to believe that a month ago we were in hot, humid HCMC, trying to do some last-minute shopping, catch up with friends and trying desperately to fit all our luggage into our overstuffed bags. Now we are amongst the green, rolling hills of country New Zealand, rugged up in jeans, jumpers and ugg boots and watching the wind howling through the trees and across the paddocks. It's a world away from Vietnam!

Thinking back over our time in Soc Trang, I have to say that, although it got pretty tough at times, overall it was a pretty positive experience and I'm glad we did it. It was such a bizarre time for us, being completely immersed in a culture so different to our own and struggling to break through the language barrier. We challenged ourselves, had some successes with our work, met some amazing people and had lots of really yummy food.

But it's good to be back. We're enjoying catching up with everyone and reacquainting ourselves with some old habits. (Yesterday I went to a supermarket for the first time in ages - I got a bit over-excited by all the products I could buy there: cheese! chocolate! wine! make-up! I had to restrain myself from going on a shopping and junk food binge).

Seeing as we are settling back into our regular lives (which includes, hopefully, finding jobs as soon as possible), this will be my last post on this blog. I've enjoyed posting my long, rambly rants on here and I hope I have kept you somewhat entertained. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment